Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Prologue To Librarium

        In one of my earlier blogs, I talked about how Wizard's Hall and Harry Potter influenced my own story and what I was able to pull from these stories to shape my own. For this weeks blog, we have been given the privilege of writing about whatever we wanted this week. I have taken the opportunity to give a better explanation of my story's setting along with descriptions of some of the protagonists relationships.
        First off, The Librarium is the dominant government in the world that controls all of the worlds nations. Every first born of every family is taken away to be taught the study of magic. The Librarium is the only institute with adequate teaching in magic and the study of magic outside the Librarium is illegal. When the children are taught magic, they are also that the outside world hates them for their gifts and talents. The librarium paints itself as the only government body in the world capable of maintaing order in the world and will go to extreme lengths to make sure it maintains its iron grasp on the world. It achieves this by brutally putting down all oppositions violent or non-violent. In the Librarium, there are multiple paths to take: military, becoming a professor, or joining the Wings of Justice. The latter being the Librarium's gestapo and silencing all threats both inside and outside the Librarium's sphere of influence. I really like what I've done with the Wings of Justice because they're supposed to represent the absolute best and loyal the Librarium has to offer. Heavily feared throughout the world, they're referred to as "one man armies" because of their astounding knowledge and use of magic.
        My main character was the first born of his family, but wasn't taken as an infant by the Librarium. When he was an infant, his family fled from the city to the rural areas of the country to try and avoid be imprisoned by the Librarium. The main characters name is Roland and his family was imprisoned by the time he was 5 years old. Rather than imprison him as well, the Librarium wiped his memory clean and planted artificial memories into his mind. It didn't quite work to full affect though, Roland suffers from flashback regarding his real family which confuses him because the memories planted in him reveal he was taken as an infant just like everyone else. Thus, he heavily dwells on these flashbacks and what they could possibly hint at. Roland is regarded as a very talented wizard and strives to make the most of what the Librarium has to offer in education. The more he starts putting the puzzle pieces of his memory back together, the more he loses faith in the Librarium and even openly criticizes their policy of ruling the world. This will eventually cause the Wings of Justice to turn their heads...
        Once Roland decides to rebel against of the Librarium, he starts forming a plan to share the knowledge of magic to the general  public. Knowledge is power, and roland knows it is one of the many ways the Librarium is able to keep such a firm grip on the world. Roland isn't alone on this journey, he has close friends that support and even influenced his views throughout their years in the academy. His best friend Charles for example is his best friend, but their friendship will be put to the test once Charles swears loyalty to the Librarium and even starts training with to become one of the Wings of Justice. Alice on the other hand, is comic relief and knows Roland will do the right thing. She plays more of a neutral role between Roland and Charles and generally daydreams which has earned her the nickname "Alice in Wonderland".
        I felt that I wasn't able to go into as much detail as I wanted to during last week's blog. The more backstory and information I come up with for my story, the more confident and comfortable I feel about it. My hope is that when people read my story, they won't scratch their heads and think to themselves "what's the story behind this?". Instead, I want the reader to be at least somewhat familiar with the backstory. That's why I plan on working a short prologue into the rough draft and final draft of my story.
    

2 comments:

  1. It seems you have planned your story very well so far Chris. I look forward to reading the final version. The Librarium seems to be a lot like the government in 1984. I definitely recommend 1984 to you for more research, as the Wings of Justice serves a very similar function to the Thought Police.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Adam. Also, I've actually never read 1984 even though a large number of our peers have. I would read it right now, but I've already decided to read The Golden Compass in order to help guide the direction of my story.

    ReplyDelete